Sunday, March 14, 2010

Peter - Ambition is a road to Success

  1. Discuss the difficulties “Lost Boy,” Peter/Santino experienced while assimilating into the American culture?
  2. Discuss how they dealt with their culture shock ~ what did they do to adjust to the cultural divisions?You may choose to write in first person point-of-view or third person. Please remember to use an intriguing title that relates to the topic – grabbing the reader’s attention. Also, check the standard of your work against the Blog Rubric. For this post, you need to include links that would deepen your reading audience's understanding of the plight of Sudanese refugees.
My name is Peter I fled from my village when i was four after i was forced to flee from my home due to a civil war between north and south of Sudan! I travelled for several miles seeking safety. I have dealt with many problems in my life and seen sights a kid never can even think of. I don't even know where my brother or my mother is. I come from Sudan and lived for all my life as a refugee in a camp with all my friends from the Dinka Tribe, who fled with me due to forced migration. We were called 'The Lost Boys'.
After 9 years of living in Kenya. My community farewelled some of the fortunate ones to America, which I've heard is like heaven. They have sent us with visions and hopes for the future of themselves, for the new generation and Sudan. Thats my goal and my ambition.
America looked very different from my home country. It was modern and there were cars, women and strong houses. Me and my friends were shown a house that seemed very different from our refugee camp huts.It was like heaven. There were lots of food in markets that all we did now was eat. But that wasn't even why we came here. We just thought about our community back in Africa decided to focus on our goal and send money back home. I slowly began to feel like life here was different. It was actually getting harder than the life in africa I myself was different from the others. I faced cultural shock here because people here looked at me differently, with fear it was like i was going to hurt them or something. I did not feel comfortable myself sometimes since i was blacker than all of the people here even the African Americans. I earn barely enough money to even support myself yet i still have to send money back home. Life here was easy if i came here for only living a simple for me, but it wasn't helping me at all to reach my goal. I didn't want to get used to life here so i decided to leave Texas and my friends behind and go to Kansas where i will be able to focus more. I didn't tell any of my friends even Santino but it was an abrupt decision i had made. This stepped migration was hard for me because moving away from friends i grew up with was going to be hard. But i had to do it to reach live my ambition someday. After reaching kansas i had to get high school education. School was hard for me. The teacher herself treated me differently and sometimes i had problems explaining and making friends. The principle looked down at my intelligence since he recommended lower classes for me than what i had chosen. He also seemed to be surprised when i answered questions. I faced a lot of racism and since i was very different from the others i had harder times fitting in. I also have a job here and my boss gave it to me cause she thought i was black so i was used to working in the heat. There were many times i felt different and hard to adjust and be part of things. When i went to a Bible study i was left out. I sat at the back of the classroom and didn't know what to sing when everyone else was. But after a while i was slowly becoming assimilated to the American culture i began dressing and using slangs like them. I made friends and now i even have a girlfriend. In the end i worked harder i wrote an essay for my college apps and finally reached my goal. Today Im a graduate and an inspiration to many of my friends. I hope eventually Sudan will be a free country and everyone will live their life like they deserve to!

No comments:

Post a Comment